Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Center City Pub Crawl

So Frank and I did our own pub crawl of Center City this past Saturday. We actually started at the Rangers v. Flyers game in the afternoon. We very graciously had our tickets changed to the club boxes because by accident they had us seated in the all you can eat section and if you don’t purchase the all you can eat plan you can’t sit there, so they moved us to very expensive seats with a private bar, bathroom and waitress. Pretty kick ass, as was the game. Rangers handed the Flyers another shutout. It’s been fun going to the games lately. The last game here the Rangers beat the Flyers 4-0.

From there we headed To Tria’s Wine Bar at 18th and Spruce. It is definitely smaller than their other location. I started off my wine drinking with a nice relaxing glass of Cabernet.

Next we went to NoddingHead where I was very disappointed with the wine. I know I am coming from Tria’s, but it was still sucky Shiraz, I didn’t even finish the entire glass.

After the disappointment we went to Mahogany, which is a scotch and cigar bar. I picture places like these all around the Capitol building in DC with Senators making back door deals. It was pretty cool. I sat in a big chair in front of a fire. I had a good glass of Cabernet and I want to go back and try some of their port.

After all of that drinking we needed food. We went to Jose Pistola’s. We were smart and sat at the upstairs bar where we watched G4’s imports of crazy Japanese game shows with some of the other patrons and manager. I did not drink here, but had a very tasty and filling spicy meatloaf dinner. As one of the patrons was leaving the bar he said “Go Flyers,” well I countered with a “Go Rangers” and he came back up the stairs saying, “Who said that.” So we got into an interesting hockey conversation.

After the food and fun we headed towards Chick’s CafĂ© and stopped at a random bar on South Street where the prices were way too high for a dive bar. We got to Chick’s wine bar and I enjoyed a nice, oaked, Chardonnay. Chick’s was small and the man behind me had way too much cologne on, but other than that, it was fun.

So next on our stop was to be O’Neal’s Pub which I have wanted to try. We walked in and it looked like your run of the mill crappy bar. Not many people were there and I was getting tired so we left two seconds later and went to Beneluxx. Beneluxx is a bar where they allow you to buy wine, beer, chocolate and cheeses in small portions so you can sample many things. I decided to sample a Barbera D'Asti and knowing this was my last drink of the night, I lived it up and ordered a $14 glass of this oh so yummy wine and some dark chocolate.

Frank and I had a lovely time on our pub crawl. And for all of the wine I drank Frank had many strong beers and a cask strength scotch. There is always something for everyone.

No comments: