So I have committed to something I am not even sure my body will allow, but psychologically, I need it.
I have signed up for the SheRox Triathlon here in Philly in August. The all women Sprint Triathlon along West River Drive will help me prove to myself, maybe my body doesn't actually hate me, and maybe I can work towards a positive goal.
To help get me psyched I bought a brand new kick ass road bike. Who knew that on a road bike, (vs. my ten year old hybrid) that I am always afraid of going over the handle bars. I am so high up and flying and I feel like that the smallest uneveness in pavement is my enemy.
Also my enemy are people who do not follow trail rules. People don't stay to the right (I do tell people I am passing but half can't hear me because of their IPods), other bikers don't tell you they are passing, and bikers and runners with their friends take up the entire trail going in one direction. It's just dangerous and inconsiderate. What I have also noticed over the years is that runners are way more friendly than bikers. Two runners coming at each other will usually at least nod or smile. Bikers totally ignore each other, bitch when cars don't see them, but bikers don't follow the rules of the road either, so why should the cars respect them? I am excited for myself to be biking a lot now, but am anxious of getting into this biking subculture that I don't care for, again, rude, dangerous and inconsiderate.
Enough ranting aside. I am very excited to be doing the triathlon. I just need all of my body parts to get excited too. Right now I can't walk so biking is good. Swimming is the hardest thing for me to get into. It actually aggravates some of my injuries and I find it takes a lot more motivation (and planning) for me to get into the pool.
I want this triathlon to go well because I want to be able to do at least one a year. Sprint triathlons should hopefully less stress on my body than some other activities since you spread out the pain to using all muscle groups at different points.
So we shall see what will come of all this. My hope is proof that I can get back into all physical activity without being in pain or injured every other day.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment