So the Mayoral election is tomorrow in Philly. We are voting on Mayor, City Council, Sheriff and ten million different judges. I have been seeking out election info and info on candidates and can find next to nothing. I only found one place that said what time the polls were open. The two best sites so far are www.thenextmayor.com and www.seventy.org/hot-topics/-2007-election-information/.
These only scratch the surface though. It seems near impossible to make an informed decision on most of these positions that will affect how our City is run and the criminal justice system in a City where crime is the most concerning issue. I want to vote for the best candidates, not party lines or incumbents. (Please for people who vote party lines, stop and make an informed decision based on the qualities and qualifications of candidates. I was standing in line to vote in the 2004 presidential election and a child asked her father who he was going to vote for and he said, "Whoever is in my party." Welcome to the degradation of democracy people! I almost turned around and slapped the man for being ignorant and teaching his child how to ruin a country.) It just baffles me. So obviously the first position that needs to be replaced in Philly are those who are responsible for getting information out about the election and candidates. Then citizens can be registered, informed, passionate, and make the changes needed in Philadelphia.
My Voting Experience
So I went to vote at 7:05 am this morning. My polling place wasn't ready and they didn't expect to be ready soon so I left and went back after work. At that point they screwed up the count of voters and spent ten minutes bickering amongst themselves in a little 10-by-10 room while I and another girl waited for them to stop bickering and get their act together. The girl in front of me was getting very pissed and I didn't blame her. I was only voter #154 at 6pm and they couldn't work their system. Also Philadelphia encourages voter fraud. They don't check ids or ask you any personal information before you sign the voter book. Also on the Philly election site there is more information in Spanish than in English. I understand the whole fairness in voting for immigrants but give me a fucking break! And as of now, the stupid people in charge of this are being re-elected. Loving Fucking election system Philadelphia has. As if we don't have enough problems already.
Monday, November 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The difficult part is getting people to care. Many don't vote at all and others vote out of obligation. Since they're not interested they will spend zero effort in learning about candidates.
Now you'd think on a local level people would care even more, but people are stupid.
Post a Comment